Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 mins
This creamed ham is delicious on grits or rice, or serve it over toast, hot split biscuits, or baked puff pastry shells. Feel free to use peas and carrots in place of the peas, or add a little chopped pimiento for extra flavor and color. From: Southern U.S. Cuisine
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- 2 teaspoons fresh minced parsley
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups diced ham
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen peas, thawed, cooked and drained
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add the green onion and minced parsley and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the flour until smooth and bubbly. Gradually add milk and heavy cream.
- Stir in diced ham and cooked peas, along with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over rice, grits, toast, or biscuits.
This is great feel-good kind of comfort food; quick and easy to put together. My newly purchased cream turned out to be sour :( so I had to use all milk. But it turned out nice and creamy anyway, and I saved some fat and calories. I will make it with milk only for future as well. Made for 1-2-3 Tag
Delicious! So simple and so good! I used Land O Lakes fat free half and half in place of the heavy cream and I didn't cook my peas, just let them thaw before adding because I love the taste of them that way! I put it over white rice and the gravy soaks into the rice and its heaven in every bite! Thank you for sharing this simple and delicious meal! :)
Yum! I didn't cook the peas as I like the "pop" of a crunchy vegetable, and I did throw in a pinch of nutmeg to brighten the flavors. DH had his on toast, I had mine on rice. Thanks for another keeper!