Cook Tara K.'s Note:
This is a take on my Slovak Grandma's Recipe. I used Halushky for the dumplings. I made it without the potato-so I didn't use the blender. This dish is VERY filling (like gnocchi) and VERY inexpensive. You can make this main dish with the chicken or leave it out and have it as a side. Disclaimers: Grandma DID NOT use olive oil- she used olio (aka margarine). Grandma DID NOT use cayenne. Grandma DID NOT use a recipe- so this is my best guess to amounts and times.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 dumplings, Halushky Halushky
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 2 tablespoons dried onion
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (I use garlic infused oil)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 chicken breasts (or whatever pieces you like)
- pepper (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 -3 cups milk (use more or less depending on how much sauce you want and how thick you like it)
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (or to taste)
- 1Put olive oil, celery, and onion in a 12 in pan and sauté for 2 minutes.
- 2Season chicken with pepper and add chicken to pan. Sear on all sides.
- 3Once seared, add chicken broth and reduce heat to a simmer. If chicken is done when broth is evaporated, remove the chicken from the pan. If the chicken is not done, continue adding extra broth until the chicken is done.
- 4When chicken is done, remove from pan. If there is any remaining broth in pan, continue to cook till evaporated.
- 5Add olive oil and flour to pan and whisk until the flour, oil, and things in pan are all mixed and start to brown.
- 6Slowly add milk while whisking. I like to add 1/2 a cup at a time till I reach my desired consistency.
- 7Add bullion cube.
- 8Add sour cream.
- 9Add paprika, cayenne, and pepper until you reach desired spice level.
- 10Add Halushky dumplings and fold them inches.
- 11You can either lay chicken pieces on top or dice them up and fold them into your Halushky.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamed Halushky (Aka Halusky) With Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (410 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 645.5
- Calories from Fat 428
- Total Fat 47.6 g
- Saturated Fat 16.1 g
- Cholesterol 141.1 mg
- Sodium 844.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 39.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: