Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Serve over toast or rice; garnish with parsley if desired. Cook time is approx.
- 2 quarts water
- bay leaf
- 4 grouse or 4 squab, 3/4 to 1 lb ea
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, fresh,sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons parsley, fresh minced
- toast or hot cooked rice
- parsley, fresh chopped (optional)
- In a Dutch oven, bring water, bay leaf and grouse to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer until meat is tender.
- Remove grouse; cool.
- Debone and cut into pieces.
- In a skillet over medium heat, saute onion and mushrooms in butter until tender.
- Add flour.
- Stir in broth, lemon juice, salt and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add grouse and heat through.
- Add cream and parsley; mix well.
- Heat through.