1/9 Photos of Creamed Ground Beef Sos
I loved it when Mom used to make this for us! I have no idea if she originally made it for Dad, who had been in the army, or if she just liked it because it tasted good and was a budget stretcher. A traditional favorite, good ol' SOS. Note: the title of this recipe specifies that it is made ground beef, rather than chipped beef; "authentic" SOS is generally made with chipped beef, however many folks also refer to the ground beef version by the same name.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder or 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder (optional) or 1/4 teaspoon granulated onion (optional)
- cayenne powder, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 1/4 cups milk
- 1In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef and onion.
- 2Stir in the flour, granulated bouillon, salt, pepper, and garlic and onion powders (and cayenne, if using).
- 3Saute all together until flour is absorbed, about 5 minutes.
- 4Gradually stir in the Worcestershire sauce and milk.
- 5Bring it all to a simmer, stirring, and cook until thickened, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- 6Serve over toast, biscuits, noodles, rice, or potatoes.
- 7Note: when I'm needing to avoid bread or noodles, I'll sometimes make a bunch of sauteed mushrooms and eat this over them, or sometimes with tofu. Delicious!
Browse Our Top Eggs/Dairy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamed Ground Beef Sos
Serving Size: 1 (270 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 321.1
- Calories from Fat 148
- Total Fat 16.4 g
- Saturated Fat 7.7 g
- Cholesterol 92.9 mg
- Sodium 588.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 28.1 g