Recipe by jamin
This is a summertime favorite at our house when the first batch of green beans is picked. We serve over potatoes or eat plain. I sometimes add more spices to mine, but the man of the house prefers the bland taste.
- 5 cups fresh green beans
- salt water, to cover
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup white flour
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 1 ounce shredded cheese
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Add the beans to a pan, cover with water and add salt.
- Boil until tender, approximately 15 to 20 minutes.
- Strain the beans in a colander and set aside.
- Add the flour and milk to a bowl with a tight fitting lid and shake until mixed.
- Add the butter to the pan and melt.
- Add the shredded cheese and the flour and milk mixture, heat until thickened.
- Be sure to stir often to keep from burning.
- The burner should be between medium to medium high heat to get mixture to thicken.
- Once the mixture has thickened add the beans and stir to coat.