Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
Green Giant frozen French-style green beans are good to use for this recipe or use fresh whole green beans in place of the frozen.
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted and divided
- 1 cup corn flakes, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon flour
- seasoning salt
- 1⁄4 cup minced onion, minced (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 6 cups French style green beans, cooked and very well drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups swiss cheese or 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Set oven to 400 degrees.
- Butter a 1-1/2-quart baking dish.
- In a small bowl mix 2 tablespoons melted butter with the cornflake crumbs; set aside.
- In a large saucepan melt 3 tablespoons butter.
- Add in flour, salt, pepper, onion and sugar; heat and stir until bubbley.
- Reduce heat and whisk in sour cream; cook stirring over low heat for about 2 minutes (do not boil!).
- Fold in cooked well-drained beans.
- Transfer into prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle with grated Swiss or cheddar cheese.
- Then top with cornflake mixture.
- Bake uncovered for about 20 minutes or until heated through.
Sorry to say we just didn't enjoy this all that much. Can't really pinpoint it, other than it was the green bean part (we all ate the topping just fine). I think it was textural, with the green beans getting cooked twice. Made for Zaar Tag.