Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
There are lots of creamed spinach recipes on Zaar, but this one is different in that it uses not only fresh spinach and real cream, but also chicken broth. If you don't care for sweet onions, use regular white onion. Recipe adapted from a version found in the Steak Lover's Coobook.
- Rinse off spinach well and shake to dry, but there should be some water still on the leaves (this residual water will help steam the spinach).
- Remove any tough stems from the spinach, then place spinach leaves into a large saucepan, cover, and cook over medium heat just until wilted- approximately 4 minutes, checking once halfway through to flip the leaves over to ensure even cooking.
- Have ready a mesh strainer, so that as soon as the spinach leaves have wilted, you can strain them over the sink, while running cold water over them to prevent overcooking.
- Make sure the spinach is cooled down very well from the water, then set aside to drain.
- Mix together onion, spices,salt,chicken broth,and cream in a small pan.
- Bring to a boil (uncovered) over medium heat and let reduce to about 3/4 cup, this will take some time- approximately 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally and adjusting heat as needed to keep from burning.
- Meanwhile, squeeze the spinach dry using your hands- get out all the excess liquid you can.
- Chop spinach coarsely and then add to the reduced cream mixture.
- Taste and season to taste.
- If making this in advance, cover and chill then reheat in a saucepan until bubbling, stirring, for about 4 minutes or until warmed through.
You can not believe how wonderful this is. I did not have sweet onions so I added a dash of brown sugar. It is amazing how much the spinach will wilt down. If you have big eaters, you might want to double this. We split it between two!