Prep 2 hrs
Cook 30 mins
Finnan Haddie I believe is an old Scandinavian dish or it may be Finnish..Many years ago it was a stand by when you were broke - Not so anymore. It is not one of my favorites I had it too often as a child. This recipe was posted by request.
- 2 lbs finnan haddie
- milk, to cover
- 2 hardboiled egg, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- Soak the fish in milk for at least an hour.
- Slowly bring the milk and fish to a simmer, cook for apprx 20 minutes or until the fish cooked Remove fish from milk, keep warm, reserve milk for sauce.
- Melt the butter in the top of a double boiler (water in the bottom of the double boiler) Blend in the flour, heat until the mixture bubbles, stirring constantly slowly blend in the milk stock (If you have less than 1 1/2 cups milk stock add more milk) Cook rapidly stirring constantly until the sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat and beating vigously beat 3 tbsp of sauce into the egg yolks, add yolks to sauce Return double boiler to heat cook sauce for 5-7 minutes, cool slightly.
- Remove bones and skin from the fish, break fish into pieces combine with the sauce Gently stir in the eggs.
- To reheat place over simmering water in a double boiler.
- Garnish with parsley& serve with Baked Potatos.