Recipe by Olha
Use new carrots, if you can get them, in this delightful side dish, which goes beautifully with chicken or lamb.
- 3 carrots
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chervil or 1 teaspoon dried chervil
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 2 cups fiddleheads
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut carrots into strips 2 x 1/2 inch.
- In large heavy skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add carrots; sprinkle with chervil and sugar, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook, tossing to glaze carrots, for 3 minutes.
- Add water, reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer for 6 to 8 minutes, or until almost tender.
- Meanwhile, in saucepan of boiling water, cook fiddleheads for 5 to 7 minutes or until tender.
- Drain well.
- Uncover carrots, increase heat to medium high and cook until water evaporates.
- Add cream and cook until thickened, 2 to 4 minutes; stir in fiddleheads and heat through.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Makes 4 servings.
- Canadian Living.