Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
A great side dish for a halloween dinner
- 4 lbs white pearl onions
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups light cream
- white pepper
- 3 teaspoons nutmeg, freshly grated
- Parboil the onions with their skins on for a minute.
- Immediately rinse with cold water.
- Slice off the root end and squeeze the onions out of their skins.
- Return the onions to the saucepan and simmer in enough water to cover for 10 minutes, until they are tender.
- Drain the onions and leave in the colander for a minute.
- In the same saucepan melt the butter.
- Add the flour and mix well.
- Stirring constantly, pour the cream in very slowly.
- Cook the sauce over medium heat, stirring constantly until the sauce thickens.
- Add the spices and the onions and cook just until the onions are reheated.
- Pour into a serving dish and sprinkle with additional nutmeg if desired.