Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
My mom made this on special days for breakfast. It was a family favorite growing up. Now I make for my hubby on those "special" days that I want to say he's tops in my book. You may wish to double this recipe for big eaters or if no fruit and meat accompany the meal.
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 3 -4 slices bread, to toast
- Melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Whisk in flour.
- When bubbly, whisk in milk a little at a time.
- Add salt.
- Continue to whisk til thick and bubbly.
- Remove from heat and add chopped eggs.
- Toast and butter slices of bread.
- Lay slices on individual plates and spoon on Creamed Eggs.
I grew up eating this dish as well. I am the only one left who eats it , so it is now a dish I only eat on Easter morning. The only thing I do differently is I keep the yolks seperate ,crumble them in a bowl ,and cover the entire top with a dry yolk mixture. Awesome readers should try this dish.
Very yummy!!! But we also Added Velveta Cheese and bacon bits!!
My, oh my! This was a walk down memory lane. In all honesty, I had forgotten about this dish for probably 40 years. I did it for a quick, easy dinner tonight, and was everything I remember my mom cooking decades ago. This will remain on both my breakfast and dinner menues. Thanks so much for posting. I really don't think I would have ever encountered nor thoughht about a childhood fave had I not run acoss this today.