Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
One of my family's favorites from when the budget was tight, and they all still like it today. A quick meal that is a true comfort food.
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) jardried chipped beef, rinsed and sliced
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced thin
- 1⁄2 large bell pepper, halved and sliced
- 3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup frozen corn (your choice) or 1 can creamed corn (your choice)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 -2 tablespoon flour
- milk, to make a white sauce
- salt and pepper
- refrigerated biscuits or baked potatoes or toast, to serve it on, whichever you prefer
- Melt butter in a large skillet, saute' onions and green bell pepper slices until crisp/tender.
- Add chipped beef that has been rinsed to remove excess salt and sliced.
- Saute' beef with onions and bell peppers until heated through.
- Sprinkle with flour and mix with wooden spoon until mixture is covered with flour.
- Add milk slowly to make a cream sauce that is medium thickness.
- Add corn and heat until frozen corn is cooked, or until creamed corn is heated through.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix cheese in at the last and when it has melted remove from heat and serve.
- I prefer baked potatoes, my husband likes bisquits, but either is good.
- Sometimes I add chopped celery and garlic for variety when sauteing the onion and bell pepper.