Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This is such a yummy blend of cucumbers and onions in a sweet creamy sauce. When I was young my Grandma would make this for me all the time. That was over 30 years ago. It is a wonderful go to recipe for those hot summer days when you don't want to cook. I prefer using Vadalia onions, but any yellow onion will do. I try not to use too big of cucumber (diameter) because there are too many seeds. I have even substituted splenda for the sugar and light miracle whip with good results. (However, the juice doesn't flavor as long with the splenda). Finally, the cook time is the refrigerator marinate time. I hope you enjoy.
- 3-4 large cucumbers
- 1 large yellow onion
- 236.59 ml Miracle Whip
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 59.14 ml white vinegar
- 1.23 ml salt (or to taste) (optional)
- 1.23 ml pepper (or to taste) (optional)
- Peel and slice cucumber and onions thinly. The best results are even slices. I use a mandolin for this step.
- Place sliced cucumber and onions in a medium bowl that has a lid.
- In a small bowl mix together the Miracle Whip, sugar, vinegar. Add salt and pepper if using. Pour over top of the cucumbers/onions. Place the lid on the bowl and give it a shake or two.
- Marinate 6 hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Do not add more liquid. Juice will keep for a long time. Just keep adding onions and cucumber as they get low until you no longer get the wonderful flavor on the cucumbers. Then it is time for a new batch.
Thank you for posting this recipe! We had this a lot when I was a child! Couldn't find the recipe in my Grandmothers & Mom's recipe notes!
I love this recipe! The creamy Miracle Whip sauce lasts forever and does not get whimpy. So glad I found it.
I was searching all over the internet until I finally found this recipe. My mom made this all summer long when I was a kid, and I wanted to share it with my daughter. (Mom wasn't home for me to call at the time I needed the recipe.) Suffice to say, it is PERFECT! Thank you SO MUCH for posting it. I sifted through a bunch of recipes with vinegar, but none with the right ratios OR the Miracle Whip. My mom always used Miracle Whip, so when I saw that ingredient, I knew I had hit PAYDIRT! My 7-yr-old helped me make it, then helped me gobble it up over the weekend. Her comments, "Mom, this is so yummy, even the onions taste good!" Can't wait to get some more cucumbers and re-load for the next few days. Thanks again!!!