Recipe by Gadgetsmidnight
This is such a yummy blend of cucumbers and onions in a sweet creamy sauce. When I was young my Grandma would make this for me all the time. That was over 30 years ago. It is a wonderful go to recipe for those hot summer days when you don't want to cook. I prefer using Vadalia onions, but any yellow onion will do. I try not to use too big of cucumber (diameter) because there are too many seeds. I have even substituted splenda for the sugar and light miracle whip with good results. (However, the juice doesn't flavor as long with the splenda). Finally, the cook time is the refrigerator marinate time. I hope you enjoy.
- 3 -4 large cucumbers
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 cup Miracle Whip
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (or to taste) (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper (or to taste) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and slice cucumber and onions thinly. The best results are even slices. I use a mandolin for this step.
- Place sliced cucumber and onions in a medium bowl that has a lid.
- In a small bowl mix together the Miracle Whip, sugar, vinegar. Add salt and pepper if using. Pour over top of the cucumbers/onions. Place the lid on the bowl and give it a shake or two.
- Marinate 6 hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Do not add more liquid. Juice will keep for a long time. Just keep adding onions and cucumber as they get low until you no longer get the wonderful flavor on the cucumbers. Then it is time for a new batch.