Recipe by **Mandy**
From my high school home economics book, I'd never heard of using cucumber in a cooked dish and my garden is going crazy at the moment with them so thought I'd give it a go. I think it's supposed to be a side dish but I think it's better as a sauce, I used it on top of some broccoli but I think it would be great with corned beef.
Top Review by mersaydees
Made as directed and served with corned beef as suggested. I really liked this recipe as did our son with the corned beef. My DH, who loves corned beef, didn't care for the Creamed Cucumber at all. I was a little confused with steps 1 & 2 because when I tossed and heated the cukes and carrots into the saucepan for the 3 minutes there was no resulting liquid to add to the milk, so I just went ahead and used the 1/2 cup milk. I would definitely make this again as it's such an easy and fresh recipe! Thanks, Mandy! Made for AKRS 65, Group 2.
- 1 cucumber, seeded & diced
- 1 cup carrot, grated
- 1⁄2 cup milk, approx
- 1 onion, grated
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 tablespoons cheese, grated
- chopped parsley (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place cucumber & carrot in a saucepan and heat slowly, simmer for 3 minutes.
- Drain & retain liquid and make up to 1/2 cup milk.
- Saute onion in butter and add flour, stir until smooth.
- Add liquid slowly, stir until boiling. Add cucumber mixture, cheese & season with pepper to taste.
- Garnish with parsley to serve.