Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I made this for one of my get togethers, and it was gone in no time! Try it, it's really yummy! Goes great with chili and soups...
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Place a 10" cast iron skillet into the oven.
- In a bowl, combine the cornmeal, salt, sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Whisk together to combine well.
- In a lg. bowl, combine the buttermilk, eggs and creamed corn, whisking together to combine thoroughly.
- Add the dry ingredients to the buttermilk mixture, and stir to combine. If the batter will not pour, add more buttermilk to batter.
- Add 2 T. canola oil to the cast iron skillet.
- Pour the batter into the skillet.
- Bake until the cornbread is golden brown, and springs back, about 20 minutes.
This recipe was ok. I expected it to be moist, but it is more crumbly and dry, and it fell apart as I was serving it. Maybe I should have expected that since it is made w/ only cornmeal. My family ate it up though, surprisingly -- probably because I topped it with lots of melted butter! My husband spread honey on it and had seconds & thirds. It was good crumbled into the chili. Just don't expect a moist, fluffy cornbread.
We really enjoy cornbread, and this was delicious! I used this to make cornbread stuffing for another recipe, very moist and flavorful. Thanks Linda, I will use this recipe again! Made for 1.2.3 Hits.
Stolen from Alton Brown and added a tbsp sugar.