Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This goes well over toast.
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 (3 ounce) packages dried beef
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine
- salt & pepper
- Saute onions gently in melted butter till golden, then add mushrooms and cook till tender.
- Soak dried beef, rinse and cut into strips.
- Add to sauteed vegetables, stirring frequently. Add flour and milk and cook util thickened.
- Stir in sherry and serve over toast tips, English muffins, or as I do over homemade buttermilk biscuits. Serve hot with sweet or dill pickles. If you find that your chipped beef is too thick or not thick enough, you will need to adjust the amount of milk or add more flour. Enjoy!
Comfort food. I had White Zinfandel on hand, so subbed for the sherry.