Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Lisa posted this on allrecipes.com: "My mom used to make this recipe. It can also be made with 3/4 pound browned, drained hamburger. We called it SOS: Same Ole Stuff. Great comfort food! Either recipe is easy to make and tastes great with a cold beer. Serve over toast."
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm milk
- 1 (8 ounce) jar dried beef
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt butter.
- Whisk in flour all at once to form a roux. Whisk in milk, a little at a time, increase heat to medium-high, and cook, stirring, until thickened.
- Bring to a boil, stir in beef and cayenne, heat through and serve over toast.
I remember having this when I was a kid, and haven't had it in a couple of years. It's still as I remembered, but with a few tweaks. Instead of the jarred beef I used 4 of the small 2oz. packs of beef from the grocery lunchmeat section. Since this beef isn't as salty I added some seasoned salt, minced onion and white pepper to enhance the flavor. Still a tasty memory.
I had forgotten how often we had this as children (without the kick!). And it tasted just as good as it did then. Thnx for bringing back some memories, Mmm..Spaghetti. Made for PAC Fall 2009.