Recipe by Mmm..Spaghetti
Lisa posted this on allrecipes.com: "My mom used to make this recipe. It can also be made with 3/4 pound browned, drained hamburger. We called it SOS: Same Ole Stuff. Great comfort food! Either recipe is easy to make and tastes great with a cold beer. Serve over toast."
Top Review by kwash1976
I remember having this when I was a kid, and haven't had it in a couple of years. It's still as I remembered, but with a few tweaks. Instead of the jarred beef I used 4 of the small 2oz. packs of beef from the grocery lunchmeat section. Since this beef isn't as salty I added some seasoned salt, minced onion and white pepper to enhance the flavor. Still a tasty memory.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm milk
- 1 (8 ounce) jar dried beef
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt butter.
- Whisk in flour all at once to form a roux. Whisk in milk, a little at a time, increase heat to medium-high, and cook, stirring, until thickened.
- Bring to a boil, stir in beef and cayenne, heat through and serve over toast.