1/2 Photos of Creamed Chicken With Mushrooms and Peas on Toast
This is an easy meal that can also be topped onto baked puff pastry shells, biscuits or rice, you can make this using leftover turkey in place of chicken, the onion and garlic may be omitted if desired, I like to add it in for extra flavor, this recipe may easily be doubled, servings is only estimated.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 7 -9 medium fresh button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional or to taste)
- 2 cups canned chicken broth, undiluted
- 1 cup whipping cream, unwhipped
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese (more for top if desired)
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon (or to taste)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 1/2 cups cooked chicken, cubed (or use cooked turkey)
- 2/3 cup frozen peas (or use corn)
- salt (to taste, Iuse seasoned salt)
- black pepper (lots of black pepper)
- 4 -6 slices Texas toast thick bread, toasted
- 1In a large skillet over medium-low heat, melt butter.
- 2Cook the butter stirring with a wooden spoon until golden brown.
- 3Add in sliced mushroom; cook until all the moisture is released.
- 4Add in onions and garlic; cook stirring for about 3 minutes.
- 5Add in flour and cayenne pepper and cook stirring with a wooden spoon for 1 minute, then slowly add in broth and stir with wooden spoon until thickened.
- 6Add in whipping cream, Parmesan cheese, chicken bouillon, cubed chicken and peas.
- 7Reduce the heat to low and cook stirring until heated through and thickened.
- 8Add in cheddar cheese and stir until melted.
- 9Simmer for about 20 minutes over low heat stirring often.
- 10Season with seasoned salt or white salt and black pepper.
- 11If you would like a thicker sauce just mix 1-2 tablespoons flour in 1/4 cup milk until smooth and add to the simmering sauce.
- 12Divide the mixture onto the toast, then sprinkle with more Parmesan cheese if desired.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamed Chicken With Mushrooms and Peas on Toast
Serving Size: 1 (281 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 557.6
- Calories from Fat 349
- Total Fat 38.8 g
- Saturated Fat 22.4 g
- Cholesterol 153.8 mg
- Sodium 1067.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 31.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh button mushrooms