1/1 Photo of Creamed Chicken With Corn and Bacon over Polenta
Warm, filling and comforting ... and a good way to use some leftover chicken if you happen to have some.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For creamed chicken
- 6 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 lb skinless chicken breast half
- 2 cups fresh corn
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 large plum tomatoes, seeded and finely diced
- 1Cook bacon and chicken: Cook bacon in a large heavy skillet (preferably cast-iron) over moderate heat, stirring, until crisp. Transfer bacon with a slotted spoon to paper towels, then pour off all but about 1 1/2 tablespoons fat from skillet.
- 2Pat chicken dry and season with salt and pepper. Add to skillet with bacon fat and cook over moderately high heat, turning several times, until nicely crusted and just cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate and cool. Tear chicken into bite-size pieces.
- 3Prepare corn and sauce while chicken is cooking: Gently simmer corn and milk in a heavy saucepan until corn is crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Pour through a sieve into a bowl and reserve corn and milk separately.
- 4Melt butter in same saucepan over moderately low heat. Add flour and cook roux, stirring, 3 minutes. Gradually whisk in cream, then reserved warm milk, pepper, and salt. Bring to a boil, whisking, then simmer, whisking, 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, chicken, and corn. Keep warm, covered, over very low heat.
- 5Make polenta: Bring water with salt to a boil. Gradually whisk in polenta and cook over moderately high heat, whisking, 5 minutes. Stir in cheeses.
- 6Divide polenta among 6 shallow bowls. Stir basil into chicken mixture and spoon over polenta. Sprinkle with bacon.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamed Chicken With Corn and Bacon over Polenta
Serving Size: 1 (552 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 596.8
- Calories from Fat 397
- Total Fat 44.1 g
- Saturated Fat 25.2 g
- Cholesterol 188.9 mg
- Sodium 1657.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 34.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: