Recipe by Realtor by day, Chef by night
Here's my favorite way to make chicken pie. I just grew tired of eating the same old chicken pie and came up with this tasty version. There's no mixed veggies and no potatoes. It's very filling. It also looks and tastes good enough to serve to guests. This makes 2 pies. I use one right away and freeze the other one before baking. They freeze very well. I top them with buttered bread crumbs, biscuits or seasoned stuffing cubes depending on my mood and what I have in the house at the time.
Top Review by QueenBee49444
Thank you for a quick, easy and delicious recipe. I am looking forward to making again, doubling and freezing for even quicker & easier meals. I made individual pies, putting the pie crust on top. It worked great. The filling was nice, thick and creamy - just the way I like my pot pies. Made, eaten and enjoyed for PAC, September 2009
- 2 lbs chicken, boneless, skinless breast
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 prepared pie crusts
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup small broccoli floret
- 1 small green pepper, diced small
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 roasted red peppers, diced small
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- In addition to the above, you'll need to choose a topping for your pies. I use seasoned stuffing cubes, biscuits or buttered bread crumbs depending on what I have in the house.
- Cook chicken in boiling water with the salt. Cool, cube and reserve 1 cup of the broth. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- In a large skillet melt butter and saute broccoli, green pepper and mushrooms until starting to soften and they become tender.
- Remove from pan, set aside and add the flour. Cook until browned in the remaining butter. Add reserved broth, milk and pepper whisking to blend. Bring to boil and cook until thickened, about 2 more minutes.
- Add red peppers, paprika, veggies and chicken to the pan and stir gently until heated through. If you will be freezing both pies, you can just blend everything together and skip the heating process.
- Pour into pie crusts, add your topping choice and bake 45 minutes.
- When frozen, bake them at 350 for about 1hr 15 minutes. I freeze my pies with the topping in place.