Recipe by Caroline Cooks
Makes an attractive and tasty Sunday night supper. From a cookbook by Miss Daisy King with some variations. Both sauce and rings will freeze.
Top Review by charlie #5
We liked this and...everyone ate it - now that says something. However, I did make a few minor changes. I just made cornbread because I was in a hurry. I'm sure the rings would be pretty and tasty. I didn't add tarragon, as we don't care for it. Didn't add the pimentos as I didn't have any and I'm sure the kids would have balked. Did use lots of salt, pepper, a bit of white wine and a bit of lemon juice. I think you could safely add the liquid from the can of mushrooms and even a whole 14 oz can of chicken broth if you wanted too. Loved the mushrooms in it. Kids reluctantly ate the peas in it without too much fuss. Recently learned to can my own chicken and this sauce lends itself beautifully to that. For us, I think this would feed 6 people. Thanks for a nice change of pace from the pasta, rice and potato.
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) packageyellow cornmeal mix
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3⁄4-1 cup buttermilk
Creamed Chicken Sauce
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon tarragon
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 3 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) jar mushrooms, sliced, drained
- 1 (4 ounce) jar pimientos, drained & chopped
- white wine (optional)
- frozen green pea (optional)
- fresh parsley sprig
Directions See How It's Made
- In heavy skillet, fry bacon until crisp. Remove to paper toweling to drain and cool. Reserve drippings.
- Mix cornmeal as directed with milk and eggs. (Should be very thick.)
- Heat a griddle to MED-HI and pour on bacon drippings.
- Lightly spray egg rings* and place on griddle. Pour batter into rings, cover with foil or heat resistant lid; cook until set. Remove rings and flip over; brown other side.
- Remove to heated plate and keep warm while repeating with remaining batter, spraying rings each time.
- Add more bacon drippings or oil if needed. Meanwhile in heavy skillet (used to fry bacon), heat to MED.
- Add butter and melt; add flour and stir constantly to light brown; add chicken stock.
- Whisk to blend. Add cream about 1/2 at a time—whisking constantly, until thicken. Reduce heat and add seasoning; blend.
- Add mushrooms and chicken (and peas, if using.)
- Cover and simmer over LOW heat for about 15 minutes to blend flavors.
- Add white wine to thin if needed.
- To serve, place 1-2 cornmeal rings on each plate and spoon chicken and sauce over rings.
- Sprinkle with crumbled bacon; top with a parsley sprig; and serve hot.
- Serves 6-8.
- * If you have no rings, grease muffin tin cups with bacon drippings and pour about 1/2” of batter in each cup and Bake at 400F.; for about 10-15 minutes.
- Watch closely; can burn easily!
- Let set for at least 5 minutes before removing from muffin pan.