Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Here is a great recipe to use up any leftover chicken or turkey. It is great served over egg noodles or rice, I have even topped this on a puff pastry shell, when I have had company over for dinner, and added some cooked mushrooms and peas to the creamed mixture, very easy to prepare and tastes so good, this will be a recipe that you will make time and again.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 2 1⁄2 cups cubed cooked chicken or 2 1⁄2 cups turkey
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 3⁄4 cup swiss cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 -2 tablespoon pimiento, chopped
- salt and pepper
- In a large skillet, saute onion and celery in butter until tender.
- stir in flour until blended.
- gradually whisk in broth; bring just to a boil; boil lightly for 1 minute.
- reduce heat stir in half and half, cheeses, pimientos, salt and pepper; stir until cheese is melted add cubed chicken or turkey, mix until heated through.
Just delicious. Reminded me of something my mom used to make: comforting, classic and yummy. I didn't use the Parmesan cheese in this, and I added a little Tabasco to the sauce along with the cream. Thanks for another winner, Kittencal!
This is a great way to remake leftover chicken or turkey! I used roasted chicken, replaced the pimentos with diced red bell pepper, and added a chopped hard boiled egg. The sauce was rich and creamy, with just a hint of cheese; just the way I like it. I served over a brown and wild rice blend, which was great for mopping up all of that wonderful sauce! It made more than I expected- after cutting in half I still had at least three very generous servings.