Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A true southern staple. Around here, egg bread is a sweet cornbread made with eggs. This is one of my family's favorite meals. I adapted this from the recipe served at Kleeman's, a very popular restaurant in downtown Nashville, TN way back when (now closed). You can make your own egg bread from scratch, but I prefer the convenience of the boxed mix.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons celery, minced
- 2 tablespoons onions, minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup half-and-half
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 3 (8 ounce) boxes corn muffin mix
- Melt butter in skillet; add celery and onion and saute until golden.
- Add flour, stock and cream; cook until boiling, stirring constantly.
- Stir in chicken.
- Meanwhile, prepare corn muffin batter according to pkg. directions.
- Pour into a greased 8x8 pan and bake according to pkg. directions.
- When egg bread is ready, cut into squares.
- Place square on plate, cut in half, and ladle chicken mixture liberally over bread.
- Season as desired.