Prep 0 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a signature dish that my mom has been preparing for over 30 years. Everyone in my family loves it--wonderful comfort food that's worth the effort. Here's to you, Mom!
- 1 roasting chicken (4-5 lbs.)
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
- 32 ounces frozen broccoli florets or 3 cups fresh broccoli, chopped
- 1 1⁄3 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 8 ounces Velveeta cheese
- 1 cup of shredded cheese (Mild cheddar, Monterey Jack, Colby etc.)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Remove all skin from the chicken and boil chicken in large pot of water until done.
- Cool chicken completely and remove chicken in chunks. Set aside.
- Steam the broccoli with 1 tablespoons minced onion in the microwave. Set aside.
- In a large pot. combine the Cream of Chicken soup, milk, water and worchestershire until heated through. Do not let it boil.
- Add the mayonnaise and 1 tablespoons minced onion and stir until blended. Add the Veleveeta in chunks until completely blended.
- Carefully stir in the broccoli and then the chicken until all blended and the soup consistency is smooth and creamy. Never bring to a boil.
- Add the shredded cheese and taste the mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste. **You may need to add a little more mayo or worchestershire until it is to your taste.**.
- Cook on low for 20 minutes (or transfer to crockpot on low) and serve over noodles or rice.
- **If it seems a little watery, add in 1 tablespoons of instant potato flakes to thicken**.