Recipe by SaffronMeSilly
I was reorganizing my recipe's when I came across this recipe that I'd gotten as a freebee in the mail some years ago and never tried. I modified the recipe to suit my tastes, and was pleasantly surprised. If you are in a time crunch, this dish can take two modifications that will greatly reduce preparation time. 1) you can use canned or precooked/chopped chicken and 2) you can use frozen or out of a can biscuits (just make sure they are thawed first)
- 1⁄2 onion
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons butter
- 4 cups chicken, cooked and chopped
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 biscuits, uncooked
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- For biscuits:.
- Combine dry ingredients in mixer bowl at low speed.
- In mixer, slowly add shortening until mixture is crumbly.
- Slowly add milk until dough forms. Replace mixer paddle with dough hook and knead dough until dough is elastic (if dough hook is unavailable knead by hand).
- Sprinkle flour on hard surface. Place dough on surface, sprinkle dough with flour. With rolling pin, roll dough to about 1/2" thickness.
- Using biscuit cutter or the top of a drinking glass, cut out as many biscuits as possible.
- Knead remaining dough until ball is reformed, roll out again to 1/2" thickness and cut as many biscuits as possible.
- You should have about 6 biscuits.
- Main Dish:.
- Prehead oven to 350. Grease sides and bottom of an 11 x 7 inch baking dish.
- Chop onion. Heat butter in small skillet over medium high heat until melted. Add onion and saute until translucent and tender.
- Combine onion, chicken, soup, sour cream, and milk in a medium bowl. Spoon mixture into baking dish.
- Bake for 15 minutes, remove from oven.
- Sprinkle baked layer with 3/4 cup of cheese. Arrange biscuits in a single layer over top. Sprinkle with remaining cheddar.
- Bake until biscuits are golden brown and sauce is bubbly, about 20 minutes longer.