Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I got this one from Recipes from Miss Daisy. It uses sherry which adds a very pleasant flavor to this dish. This dish is delicious served over cornbread.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups light cream (half and half)
- 2 cups milk
- 4 cups chicken, cooked and chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can mushroom pieces, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, sliced and drained
- 1 (2 ounce) jar pimentos, drained and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sherry wine
- Melt butter.
- Add flour and salt.
- Cook until bubbly.
- Add chicken stock.
- Stir with a wire whisk until smooth.
- Add cream and milk.
- Simmer 30 minutes.
- Add chicken, mushroom pieces, water chestnuts, pimentos and sherry.
- Serve over cornbread.