Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Mmm, braised celery in a cream cheese and blue cheese sauce. A small amount of cheese gives this big flavor! From Perfect Food magazine. Blue cheese is made in England.
- 1⁄2 cup fat free chicken broth
- 3 cups julienne cut celery
- 2 tablespoons tub-style light cream cheese
- 1⁄3 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1 tablespoon crumbled blue cheese
- 2 teaspoons slivered almonds, toasted
- Bring chicken broth to a boil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add celery; sauté 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add cream cheese stirring until cheese melts.
- Add milk and blue cheese, stirring until well blended.
- Sprinkle with slivered almonds.
- Serve immediately.
- Serves 4.
This is definitely outstanding, DH looked at me when he realised it was celery and gave me a raised eyebrow..I said trust me!! Sure enough he loved it, loved it so much when he put his finished plate on the counter he said, 'you won't need to wash this Ive licked it clean..lol Great recipe Sharon thanks for sharing.
Made it to serve with mahi mahi and wasn't disappointed. Very tasty and unusual and the perfect accompaniment to the fish. Used feta instead of blue cheese, but I'm sure the blue would be excellent, too. The celery was nice and tender-crisp and the almonds were just right.
We loved this! I can't imagine why, but I'd never thought of celery as a side-vegetable all on it's own. This recipe is spot on, the celery is crispy-tender, the sauce thickens nicely (I used roquefort cheese), the almonds pair perfectly. My only caution to others is to use low-sodium chicken broth as celery in an of itself contains a large amount of sodium. I can see myself making this one often. Thanks for posting!