Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Something different to do with celery.
- 4 cups sliced celery, about 1 - 1 1/2 slices
- 2 1⁄2 ounces slivered almonds
- 8 ounces sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 3 ounces sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted (to mix with breadcrumbs)
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease/spray a 2 qt casserole dish.
- Boil celery in salted water for about 5 minutes; Drain.
- In a large bowl, mix almonds, water chestnuts, mushrooms and salt with celery.
- In a small saucepan, melt the 3 tbsp butter and stir in the flour until smooth. Add milk, chicken broth and parmesan cheese. Stir and cook on low until thick. Mix with celery mixture.
- Put into the prepared casserole dish.
- In a small bowl, mix together the 2 tbsp melted butter and the breadcrumbs; sprinkle on top of the casserole.
- Bake, uncovered at 350 about 30 minutes or until bubbly.