Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
I made WiGal's Creamed Cabbage Soup and then lightened it up a little! You might like to add a tablespoon of low fat cream cheese at the end, to give it a little extra richness. I hope you enjoy!
- 2 cups vegetable broth or 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄2 medium cabbage, shredded
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat margarine
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 1 cup vegetarian bacon, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- smoked paprika
- In a large saucepan, combine broth and vegetables.
- Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour.
- Gradually whisk in milk; cook and stir until thickened. Stir into vegetable mixture. Add vegetarian bacon, pepper, and thyme; heat through. If you wish, add the cream cheese now, stirring to mix thoroughly. Salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle a little smoked paprika over the top to garnish. Enjoy!
This was a really good soup. I made this a little lighter by using nonfat milk and halving the tub margarine. I also subbed 2 cups of the milk as broth, and added potatoes. I intended to use the bacon substitute, but then I had corned beef left over -- so just used that. We liked the flavors and method, it is different from what I usually make, and we enjoyed it.
We enjoyed this simple soup. I made some minor changes to the recipe but I don't think it really changed the recipe at all. I used regular butter (but a bit less than the amount called for), 1% milk (instead of the 2% milk as called for in the recipe) and regular bacon, cooked and crumbled. I was out of paprika - so I skipped that but used a lot of pepper! I also skipped the cream cheese (mentioned in the description), so all-in-all I think my calorie/fat content was a bit higher than the original recipe but delicious all the same. Thanks for sharing!