A nice winter soup and good with corn bread. This is another way to use small pieces of leftover ham. I do think some meltable cheese would be good in this as some reviewers have suggested. Also, thank you Chef#226863 for suggesting that I include a measurable amount of cabbage. I have also added the ham right away into vegetable /broth too if in hurry. Grated carrots also works well in this, and sometimes grate it right over the pan.
- In a Dutch oven, combine broth and vegetables.
- Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- In a saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour.
- Gradually add milk; cook and stir for a few minutes. It will not thicken.
- Stir into vegetable mixture.
- Add ham, pepper, and thyme; heat through.