Prep 50 mins
Cook 35 mins
I've made this dish a couple of times and thought I originally found the recipe here on 'Zaar, but after enlisting help to look for it, realized it came from the November 2003 issue of Bon Appetit. This does require a bit of work, but the results are rich and delicious. It's become a Christmas tradition in our home.
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 lb oyster mushroom, cut into 1-inch-wide pieces
- 15 ounces frozen small whole onions (do not thaw)
- 1 lb small Brussels sprout, trimmed and halved
- 2 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb, made from crustless French bread
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Butter an 8x8x2-inch glass baking dish.
- Melt 1 tablespoons of butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and saute until the juices have cooked away, about 10 minutes. Transfer mushrooms to a large bowl.
- Melt 1 tablespoons butter in the same skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and saute until brown and tender, but still holding shape, about 6 minutes. Add to bowl with mushrooms.
- Melt 1 tablespoons of butter in the same skillet, same heat. Add the brussels sprouts, saute until browned, about 10 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup broth to skillet, cover, and simmer until the sprouts are tender, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Uncover and cook until the liquid evaporates, about 1 minute. Add to bowl with mushrooms and onions.
- Melt 1 tablespoons of butter in the same skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and thyme; saute for 1 minute.
- Add flour and stir for 1 minute.
- Gradually add remaining 2 cups of broth and cream and bring to a boil, whisking often.Boil until reduced to 1 1/4 cups, about 8 minutes.
- Mix sauce into the vegetables in the bowl. Season with salt and pepper, and transfer to prepared dish.
- Note: Can be made 3 days ahead to this point; Cover and chill.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Melt 1 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan. Mix in breadcrumbs and cheese. Sprinkle the crumb mixture over the vegetables.
- Bake uncovered until heated through and topping is golden, about 35 minutes.