Prep 35 mins
Cook 9 mins
This is a nice way for a change.
- 25 g butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 300 ml milk
- 2 tablespoons cream
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs
- salt and pepper, ground
- 500 g beetroots, cooked, skinned and diced
- 1 tart dessert apple, peeled, cored and diced
- Melt butter in a pan, add the onion and fry gently for 5 minutes with out browning.
- Add the flour and cook a further 2 minutes, stirring all the time. Remove from the heat and gradually add the milk, beating vigorously after each addition.
- Return to the heat and bring to the boil stirring constantly.
- Lower the heat and simmer 2 minutes stirring occasionally, then stir in the cream, herbs, and salt and pepper to taste. Fold in beetroot and apple and simmer a further 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and leave to cool, stirring occasionally to prevent skin forming.