Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This dish is often served in the military services. Tasty!
- 4 ounces chipped beef or 4 ounces hamburger or 4 ounces sausage
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- salt and pepper
- Except for the dried beef, brown the hamburger or sausage in a separate pan and drain off the grease.
- Chop up the dried beef and soak in water for a short time to rehydrate it and remove some of the salt.
- Combine the butter and milk and bring to just below a boil.
- Slowly add the flour until you have a cream soup thickness then add the meat.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour over toast.
- SOS (Shit On a Shingle) Military Term.
Could not have been easier to make. The gravy came out perfect. I used chipped beef that I wanted to use up. It tasted a little bland so I added dried minced onion, a couple shakes of worcestershire, shot sauce and white pepper. Really good breakfast! Thanks for posting.
Yum! After adding a little onion it was just like Mom used to make. I was afraid it was going to turn out too runny, but it thickens up nicely. Proportions are perfect.
as a marine corps brat we had this before lol my mom used canned milk in it and you must cook the gravy for a bit so its a little thicker