Recipe by ChrisMc
Another Christmas cookie. These are very fragile, and the yield depends on how carefully you roll them out and whether any break - trust me, they're worth it. Prep time includes mixing, cooling, and assembling time.(Oh, and pay no attention to the nutritional information behind the curtain - you're happier not knowing).
Top Review by kokeshi doll
These cookies are absolutely delicious. I've been making them for years. Definitely do as Amber suggests, and make these as refrigerator cookies, that is make logs, chill, then slice. So much easier than rolling out. Also, before baking, prick each cookie several times with a fork to prevent them from puffing up. Bake only until set, but not brown.
- 1 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups flour
- granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- food coloring
Directions See How It's Made
- Blend 1 cup butter, cream, and flour and chill thoroughly.
- Roll the dough out to 1/8-inch and cut out circles using a small (~11/2 inch) circular cookie cutter.
- Press both sides of the circles into granulated sugar.
- Place the circles on baking parchment on a baking sheet and bake 7-9 minutes at 375°.
- Place on a flattened grocery bag and cool completely.
- Meanwhile, combine the remaining 1/4 cup butter, powdered sugar, almond, and food coloring and blend thoroughly to make frosting.
- To assemble the cookies, gently frost the underside of 2 cookies to make a sandwich.