Prep 3 hrs
Cook 8 mins
Another Christmas cookie. These are very fragile, and the yield depends on how carefully you roll them out and whether any break - trust me, they're worth it. Prep time includes mixing, cooling, and assembling time.(Oh, and pay no attention to the nutritional information behind the curtain - you're happier not knowing).
- 1 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups flour
- granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- food coloring
- Blend 1 cup butter, cream, and flour and chill thoroughly.
- Roll the dough out to 1/8-inch and cut out circles using a small (~11/2 inch) circular cookie cutter.
- Press both sides of the circles into granulated sugar.
- Place the circles on baking parchment on a baking sheet and bake 7-9 minutes at 375°.
- Place on a flattened grocery bag and cool completely.
- Meanwhile, combine the remaining 1/4 cup butter, powdered sugar, almond, and food coloring and blend thoroughly to make frosting.
- To assemble the cookies, gently frost the underside of 2 cookies to make a sandwich.
These cookies are absolutely delicious. I've been making them for years. Definitely do as Amber suggests, and make these as refrigerator cookies, that is make logs, chill, then slice. So much easier than rolling out. Also, before baking, prick each cookie several times with a fork to prevent them from puffing up. Bake only until set, but not brown.
These are so delicious. My family loved them so much I had to hide them!! I'm a lazy cook so rather than roll out the dough I just refrigerated it in a log that measured about 1 1/2 inches and then cut the cookies off in slices. What a wonderful dough and they sliced up so easily.