Prep 1 hr
Cook 35 mins
Excellent! Gave it 7 stars!
- 6 tomatoes
- 2 1⁄4 lbs ground pork (or turkey)
- 2 shallots (minced)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1⁄4 cup mint (minced)
- 2 teaspoons rosemary (minced)
- 1 lb feta (crumbled)
- salt & fresh ground pepper (to taste, easy on salt!)
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion (minced)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh breadcrumbs (toasted)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 3 tablespoons mixed herbs (any, minced)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- flour (as needed)
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 large carrots (peeled, grated)
- 2 beets (with good greens, peeled, grated)
- Heat oven 400.
- Hollow out tomatoes. Salt inside. Invert on a rack for 20 minutes.
- Combine the pork, shallots, garlic, mint, rosemary, feta, salt and pepper.
- Shape into 36 meatballs. Place on wax paper.
- Heat butter in a skillet. Add the onion and garlic. Saute 5 minutes.
- Stir in the breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, herbs and cream. Set aside.
- Place flour in a bowl. Combine the egg and water in another bowl. Then the carrots in another and grated beet root in another.
- Dip meatballs in flour, then egg, then alternating carrot or beet mix to coat (18 of each).
- Place on sprayed racks over baking sheets. Bake 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, rinse and dry tomatoes. Fill with crumb mix.
- Place in a sprayed baking dish. Bake 15 minutes.
- Julienne beet greens. Place on plates.
- Place tomatoes in center. Surround with meatballs (6 each).