Recipe by Galley Wench
When your recipe calls for a can of condensed soup, just make your own! This makes the equivalent of one can of condensed soup (10.5 ounces). Note the suggested variations that can be made to this recipe.
Top Review by FeelinYummy
This worked great! I was craving tuna casserole and I realized I didn't have any cream of (anything) soup. I actually preferred this to the canned stuff! Looks like Campbell's has lost a customer! Thanks for posting!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth or 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup sauted diced celery (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup sauted diced mushroom (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup sauted diced onion (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup chicken, diced white meat (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Stir in flour; a little at a time; stirring until combined and smooth.
- Remove from heat and add the broth and milk, a little at a time, stirring to keep lump-free.
- Return to heat.
- Bring sauce to a gentle boil and cook, stirring constantly, until it thickens.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Stir in optional ingredients if desired.