Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a great one to have on hand. It has a lot of uses.You can use different broths, like vegetable broth. You can add sautéed chopped celery, celery seed, or sautéed chopped mushrooms.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth (can use low-sodium)
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat milk (can use fat-free)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Stir in flour, keep stirring until smooth and bubbly.
- Remove from heat and add the chicken broth and milk, a little at a time, stirring to keep smooth.
- Return to heat. Bring sauce to a gentle boil; cook, stirring constantly, until it thickens.
- Taste and add salt and pepper, as needed to taste.
Fantastic! I subbed vegetable broth for chicken broth to make it vegetarian. I used it over a baked spaghetti and it worked perfectly. I was wondering if it would hold up on its own, not being mixed into a casserole. Not to worry! I got compliments from both daughters! This made my day when I disovered I didn't have the cream soup I needed for dinner. Thanks so much!
Great! I made this into cream of celery by sautÃ©ing some celery in the butter and adding celery salt. Worked perfectly as a substitute for soup in a casserole and didn't have that canned soup flavor. I would recommend using 3 T of butter though or else the butter and flour won't mix.
This worked wonderfully! It saved me a trip to the store and uses ingredients that I keep on hand.