Recipe by Chris McD
Cream soda flavoring homemade with no splenda! Tasty, and easy to make. Stores well and less expensive than buying the pre-made mixes.
Top Review by lastrohm
This is yummy, although we made a few adjustments the second time around. I ditched the lemon juice. My hubby liked it, but I didn't care for it. I am using vanilla beans. I split it, scrape it and put the seeds in and the pod. However, I remove the pod at the end of the boil. And, I increased the boil time to about 10-15 minutes to let it thicken up just a bit more. 1/2 - 3/4 C syrup per liter of seltzer. Then, for serving time, pour 1-2 ounces of cream or half and half into a glass, add about 6 ounces of soda. Super delicious - cream soda!
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 cups turbinado sugar (Sugar in the Raw)
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 vanilla beans, split and seeded or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium pan, heat the Turbinado sugar and 1/4 cup water over medium high heat until carmelized.
- Cut and squeeze one lemon.
- Split the vanilla bean or use the vanilla extract.
- Remove pan from stove and add 2 cups water and the lemon juice. Add vanilla bean and seeds, return pan to the heat and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and allow to stand for 1 hour.
- Pour syrup into an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator.
- Add syrup to taste to carbonated water.