Linda Johansen's Note:
(from How to Cook Everything-Mark Bittman)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 450.
- 2Mix dry ingredients together, reserving 1 Tbsp sugar.
- 3Cut butter into bits and rub into dry ingredients until thoroughly blended.
- 4(Or pulse in food processor). Beat 2 eggs with cream, and blend into dry ingredients with a few swift strokes.
- 5Use only a few more strokes to add raisins.
- 6Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and knead 10 times; no more. If it is very sticky, add a little flour, but very little; don't worry if it sticks a bit to your hands.
- 7Press the dough into a 3/4 inch rectangle and cut into 2 inch rounds with a biscuit cutter or glass.
- 8Place the rounds on an ungreased baking sheet. Gently reshape the leftover dough and cut again; this recipe will produce 10-14 biscuits.
- 9Beat the remaining egg with 1 tablespoonful of water and brush the top of each scone; sprinkle each with a little of the remaining sugar.
- 10Bake 7-9 minutes, or until the scones are a beautiful golden brown.
- 11These keep better than biscuits, but should still be eaten the same day you make them.
- 12Seven Easy Additions to Cream Scones:
- 13--Stir one-half cup or more chopped nuts into the prepared batter.
- 14--Use up to fifty percent whole wheat flour.
- 15--Substitute fresh fruit (apples, pears, peaches), whole berries (blueberries, cranberries) or minced dried fruit (figs, apricots) for the raisins.
- 16--Add one teaspoonful or more of cinnamon or ginger, or a pinch of nutmeg or allspice to the dried ingredients.
- 17--Add one-half cup grated cheese along with the eggs and cream; reduce the sugar to one teaspoon.
- 18--Add minced fresh herbs to taste-dill, parsley, and chevril are especially good; reduce the sugar to one teaspoonful.
- 19--Add one-half cup or more of minced cooked meat along with the eggs and cream; reduce the sugar to one teaspoon.
Browse Our Top Scones Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cream Scones
Serving Size: 1 (95 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 294.5
- Calories from Fat 157
- Total Fat 17.5 g
- Saturated Fat 10.3 g
- Cholesterol 119.4 mg
- Sodium 571.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 6.1 g