Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
From the 1961 "Lutheran Favorites" of St. James Lutheran Church, Howard Lake, Minnesota. Submitted by Mrs. Ernest Krohn.
- 1 cup butter, creamed
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Browned Butter Frosting
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 -5 teaspoons cream
- Add to creamed butter the brown sugar, and cream well.
- Blend in egg yolk.
- Add flour and vanilla.
- Shape into balls the size of a marble.
- Flatten to 1/8 inch thickness.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes or until browned very lightly.
- Place cookies together with frosting, sandwich style.
- For frosting, brown butter slightly.
- Remove from heat and blend in powdered sugar.
- Add vanilla and cream.
- Cream well.
Delicious! I added a little bit of baking soda to the dough, and the cookies turned out soft and wonderful.