1/6 Photos of Cream Puffs (Puffed Shell of Choux Pastry)
Tenderly spiced with cardamom puffy shells, Choux pastry or pate a choux is an unusual pastry in that flour is added to a boiled mixture of butter and water (roux like) and then cooked until it forms a smooth ball of dough. After cooling the dough to lukewarm, eggs are slowly added and the dough is beaten until it becomes a smooth thick paste. The the dough can either be piped or dropped into mounds onto a baking sheet and then baked, first at a high temperature and then at a slightly lower temperature. The high temperature is needed so the dough will rise quickly (giving it a hollow center) and to set the structure of the shells. Bakers' Ammonia is a leavening ingredient called for in many old world recipes, especially those from Scandinavia. It is also called "hartshorn". Unlike baking powder or soda, Bakers' Ammonia (ammonium carbonate) leaves no unpleasant alkaline off-flavor in baked goods. You can find it in any major supermarket or a Greek store.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 2Prepare baking sheets by greasing and flouring or by lining with Parchment.
- 3Place water and butter in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Add the flour, cardamom and salt all at once and stir constantly with a wooden spoon until the mixture leaves the sides of the pan and forms a ball. Blend in the milk well. Remove pan from stove burner and stir in the eggs, one at a time, stirring well until completely blended.
- 4Mix in the Bakers' Ammonia well.
- 5Drop on cookie sheets about 3 to 4 inches apart. Bake 20 to 25 minutes.
- 6Cut one of the shells in half at the end of baking to make sure they have dried out enough. If not dried completely, turn the oven off, punch a small hole in the bottoms of the shells, and place them back upside down in the oven to dry out for about 10 minutes. If the insides of the pastry shells are still very moist you may want to bake the shells longer so the shells won't deflate when you take them out of the oven.
- 7Allow to cool completely before filling.
- 8Fill with chocolate, vanilla or any flavor custard you enjoy!
Browse Our Top Drop Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Drop Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cream Puffs (Puffed Shell of Choux Pastry)
Serving Size: 1 (437 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 98.1
- Calories from Fat 56
- Total Fat 6.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 75.8 mg
- Sodium 113.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 2.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: