Top Review by L DJ
Gave these a 4 star because the pastry cream was wonderful, The puffs were ok, think I prefer margarine or butter to shortening. (but chose this recipe because I didn't have any on hand) They were kinda dull in flavor. They did pop up nicely though. Served 6 with chocolate fudge frosting on top. Froze the rest to perhaps fill with a chicken salad or seafood salad on another day. Thanks for sharing.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup flour
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 4 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Add shortening and salt to boiling water, stir over medium heat until mixture boils again.
- Lower heat add flour all at once and stir vigorously until mixture leaves the sides of the pan.
- Remove from heat add 1 egg at a time beating in vigorously after each addition.
- Drop by tablespoonful onto ungreased baking pan.
- Bake 450'degrees F for 20 minutes reduce temperature to 350' degrees F.
- bake about 20 minutes longer.
- Remove and place on rack to cool.
- PASTRY CREAM: Place all ingredients in a saucepan.
- Over medium high beat, bring to a boil stirring constantly until thick.
- Allow to cool completely.
- stirring often to keep skin from forming.
- Cut top off cream puff and fill and refrigerate.