Recipe by cookiedog
This is so pretty and was submitted to Sunset Magazine by Edith Shulman.
Top Review by Baby Kato
This was excellant. A little time consuming but well worth the extra effort. I was surprised at how easy it all went together. We really enjoyed this, strawberries, whipped cream, coconut and puffed pastry. Thanks so much for sharing CD.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cut into pieces, plus more for buttering pans
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 5 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons strawberry preserves or 3 tablespoons raspberry preserves
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F Butter 3 large baking sheets and set aside.
- In a medium pan over medium heat, melt 1/2 cup butter with 1 cup water; bring mixture to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and immediately add flour, sugar, and salt all at once. Stir vigorously with a wooden spoon until the mixture forms a ball that pulls away from sides of pan, about 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Add eggs one at a time, stirring vigorously to fully incorporate each egg before adding the next. The mixture will appear to separate at first; keep stirring until dough comes together into a smooth paste.
- Divide dough evenly among the 3 prepared baking sheets. Using a spatula, spread dough into 8-inch circles.
- Bake pastry layers 20 minutes, then reduce heat to 350F and bake until browned, 10 to 15 minutes. (Pastry may be baked in batches.) Transfer layers to cooling racks and set aside. Meanwhile, spread coconut on a baking sheet and bake at 350F until lightly toasted, about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat cream to soft peaks. Add powdered sugar and beat to combine.
- Spread each pastry layer with 1 tablespoons preserves, then top each with 1/3 of the whipped cream and 1/3 of the coconut. Stack the circles and slice with a serrated knife.