Recipe by nomnom
Made up this filling for the profiterole recipe I posted since the creme angelaise recipe I was given contained egg yolks (which I avoid like the plague). Enough to fill 1/2 recipe of my profiteroles
- 1 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 4 tablespoons water, cold
- 5 tablespoons half-and-half, cold (I used fat free)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract (or other flavoring)
- extra water
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk all ingredients together (except vanilla) to dissolve cornstarch.
- Put into a saucepan over med-high heat, stirring constantly.
- When it starts to bubble over itself, remove from heat, continuing to stir and add vanilla to taste preference.
- Add more water (a little at a time) if too thick (It should be thick enough to stay in the puffs, yet thin enough to pipe inside them).
- Refrigerate for a couple of hours, stir, and check consistency.
- If still too thick (it will thicken when cooled), add more water and stir again.
- repeat, if necessary.
- Put in old-fashioned ketchup/mustard squeeze bottles and pipe chilled mixture inside puffs.