Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I got this recipe a few years ago from the Home Cooking magazine, and the first time I tried it I was hooked. It reminded me of my childhood when we used to go to the Wisconsin State Fair and get fresh cream puffs.
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- whipped topping
- 2 (6 ounce) boxes instant vanilla pudding
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Bring water and margarine to boil; remove from heat.
- Add flour; then add egg.
- Mix well; put into a greased 9x13-inch pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- When done baking, middle will be puffed up.
- Flatten down with a spatula; leave edge puffed to cradle the filling.
- Combine pudding mix, milk and cream cheese with a mixer.
- Spread filling on the crust; top with whipped topping.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
I served this for dessert for a dinner for our family and it was a big hit. Since my hubby and I are on South Beach, I used EggBeaters for half the eggs in the crust with excellent results. I also used fat free/sugar free pudding, light cream cheese and Cool Whip light to help cut the sugar and calories. It was wonderful (even if still sinful for South Beach, but hey, you have to cheat sometimes) and very easy to prepare. The directions were right on. I will definitely make this again. Thanks for posting
This cake tasted delicious and was a snap to make! And it really does taste like a giant cream puff!