Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Attention Diabetics: This simple pie is for YOU! Even the crust is for YOU...all you. And you don't HAVE to share if you don't want to. This is fairly simple, but is so decadent. The crust alone is worth it's weight in gold. You could do anything with the crust and it's good for you!
- 3 1⁄2 ounces unsweetened dried shredded coconut (1/2 of a 7 oz. bag)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped almonds, toasted
- 1 egg white
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups half-and-half cream (which every one you choose) or 2 cups cream (which every one you choose)
- 2 (3 ounce) packagescook and serve sugar-free instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 sugar-free milk chocolate candy bar, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) container Cool Whip Free (or Splenda-sweetened whipped cream)
- Preheat the oven to 375°. In a small bowl, stir together coconut, almonds and egg white with a fork until all the coconut is coated. Press into the bottom and up the sides of sprayed 9" pie plate. Bake 10 minutes. Cool completely.
- Prepare the chocolate pudding (don't sub in instant, it's not the same.) Remove from heat and pour into shell.
- Place a layer of plastic wrap on the surface of the pie to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate until completely chilled.
- When serving, pipe whipped topping onto the pie. With a vegetable peeler, make chocolate curls or chop until chocolate is VERY fine. Sprinkle on the whipped topping.
- For coconut cream pie: substitute vanilla pudding; stir in 1 teaspoons coconut extract and 1 cup unsweetened coconut. Garnish with whipped topping and toasted coconut.
- For a banana cream pie, substitute vanilla pudding for the chocolate; cool the pudding to room temperature. Form two layers - bananas, 1/2 the pudding and repeat. Top with whipped topping.