Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I am a pie maker. My grandmother was a professional pie maker. She taught all of us. This is an old family recipe we made in a double boiler--- but I now make this filling in the microwave. My friend, Nan, gave me that tip about 25 years ago. It is no fail--- no lumps!!
- For Chocolate - add 2 heaping Tbls. Hersheys Dry Cocoa and an extra 1/4 cup sugar. Mix sugar, cocoa and flour before adding milk. After cooking add vanilla and butter.
- For Coconut - After cooking add small can of coconut, vanilla and butter .
- For Pineapple - After cooking add small can of crushed pineapple drained well, vanilla and butter.
- For Banana - After cooking add 3-4 sliced bananas, vanilla and butter.
- In large mixing bowl combine sugar and flour (and cocoa).
- Add milk using wire whip and mix well.
- Cook in microwave for 2 minutes and whip.
- Add beaten eggs and cook for 2 minutes and whip.
- Cook 1 minute in microwave and whip.
- (You may need to cook for another minute or two until the right consistency.)
- After cooking add butter and vanilla.
- Cool for 30 minutes and pour into cooked pie shell.
- Cover filling with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- When pie is chilled, top with whipping cream.
- I usually make the pie the night before serving and add the whipping cream the next day.