Hands down, the BEST cream pie recipe I've ever tasted! It was passed down from my mom, who got it from a neighbour while living briefly in Los Angeles way back in 1969. The chocolate variation has been the universal birthday 'cake' in my family for almost as long as I can remember. I've adapted it to be more microwave friendly and even less time-consuming than the original. (Cooking time is cooling time) In case you don't have a microwave or just want to try this on the stovetop, see my cousin CrystalB's Ultimate Chocolate Cream Pie for the method.
- In a microwavable bowl, mix sugar, flour, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk milk and eggs or egg whites. Add to dry ingredients.
- Microwave for two minutes and stir.
- Return to microwave for one minute intervals, stirring in between, until custard starts to cook. (3 or 4 more minutes. I generally quit cooking after a 1-inch ring of cooked custard forms around the edge of the bowl.).
- Remove from microwave and add margarine and vanilla.
- Cool slightly and pour into pie crust. Cover with wax paper and refrigerate 2 hours before serving.
- *Chocolate Cream Pie: Add 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips with margarine and vanilla and mix until chips are completely melted. Pour into crust.
- *Banana Cream Pie: Slice 2 or 3 bananas into bottom of pie crust before pouring pie filling over top.
- *Coconut Cream Pie: Add 1/2 cup coconut with margarine and vanilla and pour into pie crust.
- Serve with whipping cream and garnishes of your choice.