Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Hands down, the BEST cream pie recipe I've ever tasted! It was passed down from my mom, who got it from a neighbour while living briefly in Los Angeles way back in 1969. The chocolate variation has been the universal birthday 'cake' in my family for almost as long as I can remember. I've adapted it to be more microwave friendly and even less time-consuming than the original. (Cooking time is cooling time) In case you don't have a microwave or just want to try this on the stovetop, see my cousin CrystalB's Ultimate Chocolate Cream Pie for the method.
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 eggs or 3 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (9 inch) pie crusts, pre-baked
- In a microwavable bowl, mix sugar, flour, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk milk and eggs or egg whites. Add to dry ingredients.
- Microwave for two minutes and stir.
- Return to microwave for one minute intervals, stirring in between, until custard starts to cook. (3 or 4 more minutes. I generally quit cooking after a 1-inch ring of cooked custard forms around the edge of the bowl.).
- Remove from microwave and add margarine and vanilla.
- Cool slightly and pour into pie crust. Cover with wax paper and refrigerate 2 hours before serving.
- *Chocolate Cream Pie: Add 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips with margarine and vanilla and mix until chips are completely melted. Pour into crust.
- *Banana Cream Pie: Slice 2 or 3 bananas into bottom of pie crust before pouring pie filling over top.
- *Coconut Cream Pie: Add 1/2 cup coconut with margarine and vanilla and pour into pie crust.
- Serve with whipping cream and garnishes of your choice.
This would get a 5 star for ease but I thought it was grainy and not a smooth texture like I want in a cream pie. I am going to try it again an use corn starch in place of the flour. I believe that will take care of the graniness.
Made this last night for dessert and it was not only easy but tasted great. I made the chocolate, I used 1/2 c. of milk chocolate chips and 1/4 c. semi-sweet. Paired with homemade whipped cream flavored with almond. Wonderful! Thanks for posting!
This was so incredibly easy!!! And it was fun. The only change was I made the chocolate with 1cup of choc. chips. It tasted divine. Thank you so much!! We'll be trying the other variations soon.