1/3 Photos of Cream Pie (Chocolate, Coconut, and Banana Variations)
2 hrs 15 mins
Swan Valley Tammi's Note:
Hands down, the BEST cream pie recipe I've ever tasted! It was passed down from my mom, who got it from a neighbour while living briefly in Los Angeles way back in 1969. The chocolate variation has been the universal birthday 'cake' in my family for almost as long as I can remember. I've adapted it to be more microwave friendly and even less time-consuming than the original. (Cooking time is cooling time) In case you don't have a microwave or just want to try this on the stovetop, see my cousin CrystalB's Ultimate Chocolate Cream Pie for the method.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a microwavable bowl, mix sugar, flour, and salt.
- 2In a separate bowl, whisk milk and eggs or egg whites. Add to dry ingredients.
- 3Microwave for two minutes and stir.
- 4Return to microwave for one minute intervals, stirring in between, until custard starts to cook. (3 or 4 more minutes. I generally quit cooking after a 1-inch ring of cooked custard forms around the edge of the bowl.).
- 5Remove from microwave and add margarine and vanilla.
- 6Cool slightly and pour into pie crust. Cover with wax paper and refrigerate 2 hours before serving.
- 7*Chocolate Cream Pie: Add 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips with margarine and vanilla and mix until chips are completely melted. Pour into crust.
- 8*Banana Cream Pie: Slice 2 or 3 bananas into bottom of pie crust before pouring pie filling over top.
- 9*Coconut Cream Pie: Add 1/2 cup coconut with margarine and vanilla and pour into pie crust.
- 10Serve with whipping cream and garnishes of your choice.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cream Pie (Chocolate, Coconut, and Banana Variations)
Serving Size: 1 (124 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 368.4
- Calories from Fat 148
- Total Fat 16.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 73.3 mg
- Sodium 338.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 25.1 g
- Protein 7.3 g