Recipe by Bayhill
Posted for the Zaar World Tour-Mexico. From "Mexican Cookery" cookbook. This recipe is a tasty way to use up an over abundance of zucchini from the garden.
Top Review by louisekline1
I just made the soup and used some chicken base in place of the chicken broth. Used an immersion blender instead of a regular one to blend the soup. Added about 1 tbl. of minced garlic and the flavors blended nicely.
- 4 medium zucchini (1-lb.)
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 (13 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- cilantro leaf (garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash zucchini. Cut off stem ends, then cut into large pieces. Place in a saucepan. Add water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Cool zucchini in cooking liquid.
- Place zucchini, 1 cup cooking liquid and 2 Tablespoons cilantro in a blender; process until pureed.
- Heat butter in a medium saucepan. Add onion. Cook until tender but not browned. Stir in flour. Cook 1 minute. Add pureed zucchini mixture, evaporated milk and chicken broth. Stir to blend. Season with salt if needed. Stir over medium heat until soup comes to a boil.
- Serve at once or chill and serve cold. Garnish each serving with a few whole cilantro leaves.